Newsjacking is opportunistic content marketing in which you inject your own ideas into a breaking or new and relevant piece of news. Newsjacking needs to happen quickly, right at the beginning of the crest of breaking news. For instance, the recent changes to the Affordable Health Care Act allowed a client to create multiple blog posts around the topic of the official launch of the new health care services exchanges. News items don’t even need to be relevant to your business:
- Hudson River Plane Landing: How Out Of The Box Thinking Can Save Your Business
- The Walking Dead (tv show) Coming Back in October: How To Build A Team To Handle Any Crisis
- Jaguar piggybacking on the recent Apple iPhone 5S launch
- CDCs recent zombie preparedness microsite to get attention and teach families how to be prepared for real emergencies
- Special K’s series of Oscar-related tweets, with images
Reasons to newsjack:
- capitalize on breaking news
- establish topical expertise
- be relevant
- search engine optimization
- be top of mind as journalists, bloggers and consumers are looking for more info or alternate angles on a story
- CONTENT for your blog!
Simply sharing your brand’s stance on relevant news topics is a great opportunity for content. We help you gather relevant and not-so relevant news items to build content from in your blog.
Engine East helps you identify relevant or non-relevant opportunities that can be leveraged to create content. We work with you to determine what form your content should take: infographic, blog post, video, instagram photo, etc. and create that content.